Handheld MassagerHandheld massagers can help ease muscle tension and stiffness with the convenience and comfort of at-home treatments. These devices are portable massage tools that you can use to target tense muscles and specific parts of muscles with deep pressure and high-intensity massage. Percussive massage uses vigorous, repeated bursts of pressure to perform a deep tissue massage and help reduce muscle tightness. Many handheld massage devices come with different speed settings and attachments for different muscles on the body.
Features to Consider When Purchasing a Handheld Massager
Type of Massage Head
- Trigger point head: Use this head to massage both small and large muscles and areas. It’s also great for the small pressure points in your hands and feet.Trigger point head: Use this head to massage both small and large muscles and areas. It’s also great for the small pressure points in your hands and feet.
- Round head: Use this head to target specific pressure points and small areas of larger muscles.
- Flat head: Use this head to focus on small, particular areas of a large muscle, such as your hamstrings and chest muscles.
- U-shaped head: Use this head to massage muscles around joints and, if you can safely reach, along your spine.
- Wedge head: Use this head to work deeply into tight knots in your neck, shoulder, and back muscles.
One of the most important aspects to look for in a handheld massager is comfort and ease of use. You want a massage gun or vibration massager to be easy to maneuver so that you can easily reach the muscles that need it. A lightweight and ergonomic design won’t make your arm tired as you hold it against a muscle.
Speed and Power Levels
Another crucial aspect of a handheld massager is a range of speed settings and power levels. Being able to adjust the intensity of the massage is important for hitting smaller muscles and protecting yourself from being too aggressive. Some handheld percussive massagers feature built-in massage programs that can provide a more customized massage experience automatically.
It might not matter under all circumstances, but sometimes you might be more comfortable using a handheld massager if it’s quiet. You’ll have a more pleasant experience overall if the device doesn’t make a lot of noise.